Find an Interpreter in Nevada

To comply with the American with Disabilities Act (1990), private, state and local governments and businesses must provide equal communication access for Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals. In some situations, complying with this law means the private business will need to hire a sign language interpreter. It is the organization's responsibility to hire and provide an interpreter for the Deaf or Hard of Hearing person. DHHARC has compiled a current list of local registered agencies and interpreters in both Northern Nevada and Southern Nevada.

Interpreter Development and Resources

The Northern Nevada office provides ongoing workshops and trainings geared towards interpreter development for Northern Nevada and rural interpreters.

Resource Links

Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf:

Nevada Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf:

College of Southern Nevada: Interpreter Preparation Program:

Classroom Interpreting:

5 easy steps for hiring an interpreter

  1. Contact either an independent contractor or an interpreting agency. Independent contractors are interpreters that are self-employed. To request an interpreter, call or email them directly. Interpreting agencies have interpreters hired as employees and send out interpreters to different assignments. An organization can request an interpreter by phone or online.
  2. Give the interpreter or interpreting agency information about the assignment: According to RID's Standard Practice Paper on Business Practices: Hiring an Interpreter- Billing Considerations; Information needed from requestor:
    • Services requestors' name, telephone number, email address and the agency/organization requesting services
    • Date, time and duration of the appointment
    • Location of assignment (address, directions, floor building #, etc.)
    • Nature and format of the meeting (i.e. medical appointment, lecture, staff meeting, therapy session, etc.)
    • Names of deaf participants and hearing participants, if pertinent
    • Name of onsite contact person
    • Material pertaining to a given assignment as needed (agenda and/or presentation materials)
  3. When the interpreter arrives to the job, ask to see his/her particular certification. The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) has a few certifications: CSC, CI, CT, IC, TC, RSC, and Educational Certificate: K-12. The National Association of the Deaf (NAD) has certifications: Level 3 through level 5. The American Consortium of Certified Interpreters (ACCI) has certifications: Level 3 through level 4. Another certification would be the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA): Level 4.0 to 5.0.
  4. Ask to see the interpreter's card stating that they are registered with the state. It is a state law (NRS 656.A.) in Nevada that all interpreters must be registered with the state.
  5. For tips on working with an interpreter, please refer to PEPNet's tip sheet.

Interpreters Forms

Download Northern Nevada Interpreter List - PDF File

Download Southern Nevada Interpreter List - PDF File